Thursday, April 5, 2012

The College Adventures of Mrs. Goldbach and Ms. McCarter, Part II

The easiest way to best explain the feel of Hendrix College in Conway, Arkansas (30 miles from Little Rock), is to share a quote from a current freshman: "Hendrix has already made me a better person, period. I would have judged and written off a lot of people I now call my friend if I hadn't come here. After years of prep school elitism and homogeny, I am now appreciating the lack of stereotypes and the non-judgmental openness that characterizes the Hendrix community. In high school, I had a lot of restrictions that made me feel I had to act and look a certain way. Hendrix is allowing me to develop into my true self -- and I discover daily who that is!"

Hendrix prides itself on doing things a bit differently, left of center, and seeks students who want to be challenged, academicallly and socially. They accomplish this goal, in large part, through their unique Odyssey Program which distinguishes Hendrix from other selective liberal arts colleges. All 1500 undergrads must participate in this engaged learning program in at least three areas: Artistic Creativity, Global Awareness, Professional and Leadership Development, Service to the World, Undergraduate Research and Special Projects. Students gain disciplinary confidence and identifiable experiences by overseeing and owning their education.


Student organizations are extremely varied and often quirky, including clubs that support sword fighting, bee keeping, and skeptisim, as well as Heifer International, feminism and English tea. If you are looking for a place that is going to push you out of your comfort zone, in an idyllic campus setting, Hendrix is well worth researching. Don't be deterred by its location in Arkansas; the random group of students I talked with were from Denver, Philadelphia, Peachtree City, Ashville and Miami, and they chose Hendrix over Elon, UNC Chapel Hill, Bucknell, Pitzer and Davidson.

No comments:

Post a Comment