Monday, December 16, 2013

Must we document everything with a picture (selfie)?

Yes, I know this post from The New York Times has nothing to do with college (except that the author is a professor at MIT), but I was so struck by it, that I wanted to share it anyway.  I cannot help but wonder if my students would agree with any of her ideas.  I know I do, but then again, you could accuse me of being too old school. 

Years ago I remember my sister, a former teacher, telling me how one of her seventh graders said she never talked to her mother in the car.  Her mother was always on the phone talking to someone else.  There was no catching up at the end of a day; no time to share her ups and downs because her mom was busy with someone else.  It's not really any different now.  We're so busy documenting our lives, as the author of the article says, that we're hardly really living it.  Pictures are wonderful, but if you can't actually remember the experience, you don't really have much, do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment