Friday, August 19, 2016

Talking about the risks of campus life

If I had a nickel for every time I heard a parent say "That's not going to happen to my student," I could probably retire.  I've been a college counselor for too long however, and I know that things can in fact happen to "your student."

Perhaps that's why I appreciate the article "For Freshmen, Campus Life Poses New Risks."  Even the best of teenagers make mistakes sometimes, especially during the first weeks at college, and that's one of many reasons why it is so important to have an honest conversation with them before they go. Even more important, that conversation needs to continue, because as the article states, the research shows parents still have at least some influence over their children's decisions.

Use your influence while you can and start the conversation (long) before they go.


No comments:

Post a Comment