Thursday, October 11, 2012

Parenting in the Digital Age

When I read this article in Newsweek, my first thought, to be honest, was "Whew! I'm glad my own daughter is old enough that I don't have to worry about this."  I love the power of the internet, and I regularly use facebook to connect with colleagues and old friends. But the issues of social media and privacy is something that needs to be discussed on a regular basis.

Yesterday, our seniors heard from the admissions representative from Queens University in Charlotte, who shared her personal experience with a "facebook stalker." She also discussed how some colleges and employers regularly use facebook and Twitter to investigate potential students and employees.  Even some sororities use social media when deciding on potential recruits.  As she said, "the pictures you post and the comments you make can come back to haunt you!  Once you put it out there, you might never be able to un-do the damage."

No comments:

Post a Comment