Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Finding a Major and a Possible Career

As a parent myself, I understand it when a parent wants to know that their daughter is going to be able to find a job and support herself once she finishes college.  What I have trouble with however, is expecting an eighteen year old to know exactly what she wants to do for the rest of her life.  As one parent told me many years ago, "My daughter wants to be a doctor; she just doesn't know it yet."  Perhaps then this is an approach to choosing a college major that we haven't thought of yet.  What I'm pretty sure of is that there are majors and careers out there that are not the ones we knew when we adults were in college, and our daughters will have options to consider that we didn't.

(By the way, if you are considering engineering as a career, have you ever thought about petroleum engineering? You probably haven't, but the average starting salary for a petroleum engineer coming out of college is around $80,000.)

No comments:

Post a Comment