Friday, April 26, 2013

Are AP courses worth it?

There is a new study from Stanford University that states the AP program isn't all it's cracked up to be.  Personally, I've always been ambivalent about the AP program.  While I believe there is some value in an advanced placement class, I have also wondered if it really improves a student's readiness for college. Since all colleges do not treat AP scores the same, I'm not even sure they believe in the value of the courses any more. In fact, the University of North Carolina recently did its own research and found that "taking more than five AP courses probably doesn't prepare students any better for college."

My solution would probably fall somewhere in the middle.  Let students take a few AP classes if they choose, but limit the number they can take each year. It won't hurt them in the college admissions process, and it would allow students to explore some of those other classes that have always piqued their interest.  Who knows? They might also find the time to become more involved in their activities, and they might find more time to just be a teenager.  I want students to have a more balanced life, but that's just my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment