Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Discovering Your Passion

I know I've been guilty of telling students to do what they're "passionate" about far too many times. That's one reason why this short article about discovering your passion resonated with me.  Maybe, as this article suggests, a passion for doing something is what you cultivate over a long period of time.  I see it all the time: the student who seems to flounder in high school because nothing particularly interests her, returns many years later having taken a course in college that excited her so much, she changed her major!  Or even the alum from year ago who calls for a transcript because she has decided to go back to work in a field that she never even knew existed back then.  For me, that's the beauty of education.  As the article states "there is no wrong choice because there is no right choice either."  It does kind of make me wonder why we (sometimes) urge high school seniors to know exactly what they want to study or do with their lives when they go off to college.

No comments:

Post a Comment