Tuesday, October 21, 2014

The 6 toughest interview questions and their connection to college

This article - The 6 Toughest Job Interview Questions  Ever -  has popped up several times on my Twitter feed in the last few days, so I thought I'd give it a quick glance.  I'm not interviewing for anything, but I thought it might be helpful to some of my alums.  I only got through number one and two before I realized that those questions could also apply to the college application process.

#1 - Why do you want to work (or go to college) here?  As the article states, this is one of the scariest questions because it is so straightforward.  Why do you want to go to this particular college?  Surely it's not just for their football team (school spirit) or their proximity to home?  What does this college offer that particularly fits you?  Schools want to know that you've done your homework, and that doesn't mean spending one afternoon on a campus tour?

For example, I find that many students never research the courses they will have to take, or they can't quite explain what a communications major might actually do for a living?  One of my new favorite questions to ask students is something like "What does that major look like to you in the next ten to twenty years?" Do you really know where you're headed?   I was recently on a campus that at first glance, I  loved! It is a beautiful school, green and lush, and the academics, I believe, are outstanding. But would all of my students fit in there? Absolutely not.  It is what I call a more liberal campus, and it's not for everyone.  Unless a student is willing to dig deep, they might not understand that however. So doing your due diligence is very, very important, and students should be able to articulate why a school is a good fit for them.

#2 - What are you most proud of in your (high school) career?  Most of the girls I know hate to brag.  They've just been taught that it's not polite.  But remember that old adage "It's not bragging if you've done it."  My students do amazing things, but they don't necessarily see them that way. So try brainstorming with someone else. They might help you see that some of your accomplishments are in fact a very big deal.  As the article suggests, talking about the process you went through is a good way to describe your accomplishment without seeming overly boastful, and it is always a good idea to give a shout out to those who helped you along the way.  I really do believe that all of us have a story; we just have to learn to tell it.

Although I've only mentioned two of the questions, the other four are also thought-provoking.  Take the time to read through them, so that whether you are in a college interview or a job search, you will be prepared with thoughtful, meaningful answers..

No comments:

Post a Comment