Tuesday, October 7, 2014

When I go on a college tour...

I wish that students had the opportunity to see colleges like I do.  As a college counselor, I am fortunate to be invited to visit many colleges across the United States, and I almost always come back with a different perspective than I had before the trip.

For example, as I write, I am on my way home from Whitman College in Walla Walla, Washington.  There's no denying the Pacific Northwest is beautiful, and personally I loved the small town feel of Walla Walla.  It's a wonderful mix of agriculture and wineries that result in both a somewhat upscale and down to earth atmosphere.  Whitman students frequently interact with the townspeople, through community service and other projects, and if you're looking for some culture, there is the Walla Walla Symphony as well as plenty of plays put on by the school's theater department.  Majors and non-majors are welcome to participate.

Able to have dinner with several faculty members, I got a look at the student body from their angle.  Phrases like "highly engaged and inquisitive, open minded, caring, healthy risk takers" came up over and over again, words the student also used to describe their faculty.  Successful students, said one person, are students who ask for help or take advantage of help when offered. They are students who can manage their own lives.

The visiting college counselors also participated in a student panel.  When asked if there is enough to do in this town of around 30,000, a student from Boston replied, "There's plenty to do, but it presents itself in a very different way.  In fact, three of our four panelists were from big cities (Boston, LA, and Chicago), and none of them complained about a lack of things to do.

As a visitor, I got to hear from the Athletic Director, as well as the head of the Student Engagement Center, Residence Life, and the Academic Resource Center. I heard about Whitman being a "high touch" sort of school, a place where students frequently have lunch or dinner with professors, a place where students combine academic intensity with a friendly, collaborative atmosphere.  Students support each other in all areas, and student athletes are most definitely students first.  And no, you don't have to be an outdoorsy kind of person to attend Whitman.

As I left this morning, I have a much better understanding of the type of student who will thrive and succeed here, and I have a few students in mind. Before I left, someone said it was a little like Sewanee, only in the Northwest. I can see that, but Whitman also has a personality all its own.  I loved my visit and can't wait to share more of my insights with my girls when I return.

Tomorrow I will share my recent visits to Lafayette College and Lehigh University, two more schools I have no problem recommending to students.  Plus, I'll give you some hints about how you can have a more informative college visit too.

No comments:

Post a Comment