Sunday, June 7, 2015

Studying Abroad

Having just returned from Germany with a few of my students, I've been thinking about the reasons students want to study abroad.  Not all of them do, of course, but for many of my girls, the chance to study in Spain, India, Turkey, or Brazil is an important factor in the college they choose.  But why?

The reasons I've heard on this trip are all good ones.  "You get to learn about other cultures." "You realize that there are other (good) ways of doing things besides how Americans do them."

I hope that the opportunity to study in another country is about more than just hanging out with other Americans while there.  If I've learned anything from this exchange trip to Germany it is that it absolutely important to spend as much time with the German people as possible.  Yes, there are many similarities between our cultures, but there are also differences, and in order to really understand, students must be willing to be a little uncomfortable. Perhaps they will be the only person who doesn't speak the language, so they must at least attempt to learn new words and phrases.  It's amazing how far that will get you!  They must be willing to try the food at least once, which may mean that they order something unintended off the menu.  And although I believe that they should also tour the historical sites, they should get off the beaten path.  That is often where you really get to know people, and this is often where the most honest conversations take place. While on this trip, I have had some of the most fascinating and enlightening discussions with my hosts about education, immigration, religion, and their country's difficult history.  I've learned more about who they are that way than any guidebook could ever tell me.

I hope all of my students will take advantage of college study abroad programs, and wherever my students end up studying, I hope they will dig deep into the culture, language, and lives of the people around them.  You can hang out with other Americans when you get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment