Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Things I've Learned Recently...

The November 1 deadline got to all of us, but now it's time to catch up on some of the things we've learned while we were busy writing recommendations.

We've known for some time now that colleges are using data in new ways in order to determine a student's interest (remember, that's called demonstrated interest).  I understand it up to a point, but perhaps it has gone too far.  As this article states, it's the same thing Amazon and other companies do in order to figure out what you are looking for, but is it a little too creepy when it comes to high school kids?

I'm not sure if it will go anywhere, but there seems to be renewed interest in how complicated and time consuming applying to college has become. From designing our children's activities to staying up into the wee hours to study for the too many honors and AP classes they are taking, have we pushed them too far?  What impact is this college frenzy having on students and their families?  Are we destroying our kids?

This isn't exactly new news, but it's news worth spreading.  One of the new features of the College Board's partnership with Khan Academy is that students can take a practice test, take a picture of the answer sheet, and then send in for an immediate score.  Khan Academy will also use that information to help design an individual study plan for students.  Pretty cool, huh?

I've also learned that students expect immediate answers.  That's probably not news to you either, but this year I am seeing it more than ever.  They submit an application and within a week they are in my office wondering why they haven't heard anything yet.  "My test scores haven't arrived," they fret.  "When did you send them?" we ask.  "This morning," is the reply. We have a rule here that emails should be answered within 24 hours, but I have students who are in my office inquiring about the answer less than fifteen minutes after they've sent it.  I'm guessing that in this age of twitter, Instagram, and texting, many of them simply can't fathom that colleges and counselors are sorting through thousands and thousands of pieces of information and emails.  I've always heard that patience is a virtue, but I'm afraid that virtue is long gone.

Then again, I also found this article "The Overworked American Student is a Myth."

Some time soon, we will address the new Coalition for Access, Affordability, and Success.  Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment