Thursday, July 11, 2013

Discovering a Career...Now or Later

Here's the reason I love this story: sometimes you never know how the odd or seemingly inconsequential things you loved as a kid (or in this case, the things you are deprived of), have the ability to influence your career choices. And just so you know, those things can make great essay topics too! 

I always enjoy looking at the alum news in the GPS magazine.  Some of our former students are following life long passions - engineering, medicine, dance, and architecture - while others have discovered new interests like international tourism, the Middle East, and the culinary arts (who knew you could be a food stylist?), careers I don't think they considered while in high school.  I didn't know that college counseling existed as a career when I graduated,  but I've been fortunate in that two of the things I love to do most - writing and traveling - are things I get to do in this field.  Sometimes the things you consider hobbies - like food, reading, travel, television, or the great outdoors - can lead you to the most interesting places.

I believe our students are preparing for careers that do not yet exist, so it is important to stay open to the possibilities. You never know what direction your career might take.



No comments:

Post a Comment