Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Senior Year Is Not Just About College

Just last week I wrote about "the rush to finish" the college process.  Some days however, I think I'm part of the problem. The hype and craziness and stress (oh, how I hate that word), that is.  I don't mean to contribute to the problem, but I get so caught up in the opinions and reports in the media, as well as the hyperventilating by some other parties, that it's hard to stay balanced and calm.

Within only the last few days I've read articles on the colleges with the happiest students, the colleges whose liberal arts grads make the most money, the best majors, and the three things every college student should know.  There are just three?  I've seen tweets that suggest you should have at least three drafts of your essay completed already and another that offers the exact things you should include in that essay.  It's no wonder students get a little nutty.

I'm not naive. I know what the college admissions landscape looks like these days, but I also know that there is more to a girl's senior year than her college application.  In fact, there's a whole lot more.  That's why this article, Six--Well, Seven--Pieces of Advice for College-Searching High School Seniors, by the President of Franklin & Marshall College, resonated with me. Dr. Porterfield writes:

  • "Despite the uncertainties, remember that you have the ultimate power in the college selection  process."
  • "Equip yourself with information from many sources." 
  • "A key part of the college search should be self-discovery."
  • "As you explore, allow yourself to have lots of 'first choices.'
  • "Write an application essay that's so true to you that you'll want to read it again in ten years as a  snapshot of where you were at age 18."
  • "Don't let college mania dominate the only senior year of high school you'll ever have."
That is some awesome advice!


It's a new beginning for all of us at GPS this year!  There are wonderful memories to be made, opportunities to take advantage of, and you can make a tremendous difference in the life of your school.  This is your time, seniors.  As Dr. Graves said yesterday, "let's bring it."




No comments:

Post a Comment