Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Advantages of Greek Life

Since I work in an all-girls' school, it is no surprise that many of my students are interested in joining a sorority when they get to college.  During my own college years however, I simply didn't get what Greek life was all about. To me, sororities seemed, well, pointless. Fast forward many years however, and my own daughter jumped at the chance to participate in the process, and she has been a very (and I mean very) strong advocate of the benefits of belonging to a sorority ever since.  So much so, that for a time she worked at her sorority's national office.

My daughter assures me that sorority life is not all parties and frat boys, and sorority girls are not all like Elle Woods. (Even I knew that!) She regularly extols the benefits of belonging to a sisterhood, and she praises the networking and philanthropy opportunities that sororities provide.  She also credits those years with helping her develop her leadership and organizational skills, and indeed I can see those changes in her.  Being in a sorority has made a tremendous difference in her life.

So if you are considering going through recruitment (as I've learned it is now called),  explore some of the advantages of membership as described in this  USA Today article.  Who knows; had I known all this, I just might have changed my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment