Monday, November 17, 2014

My daughter is the best.

I think by daughter is just about the best - well, the best daughter ever.  She's smart, talented, creative, thoughtful, funny...who wouldn't love her?

I'm also pretty sure that all parents feel the same way about their kid, and why shouldn't they? We're parents; that's what we do.  But when it comes to college admissions, our expectations can get a little out of hand.  Assuming that every parent feels that way about their son or daughter, but there's not enough space for all of those wonderful children at highly selective institutions, then someone's kid is going to be left out, and the odds are it will yours...and mine.

That's why this blog post resonated with me.  A parent sent me the link, and having gone through the admissions wars herself, she understood its relevance.  You might think the blogger a little harsh (and sassy), but she makes several good points.  If a school's acceptance rate is less than 5% - or even 10% - then the chances of being admitted are already stacked against you.  Will one more AP class or one more amazing summer experience really improve the odds? Probably not, and at some point, it's just not healthy.  By no means am I suggesting that your daughter shouldn't apply to that dream school; in fact, chances are I will tell you that she absolutely should.  I just want everyone to keep a level head and stay sane. Truth be told, I think GPS parents are pretty good about this.  They certainly don't encourage thirty or forty applications to college like some of the students in this New York Times article. I believe our parents want healthy, well-balanced children, and they know when to say "enough is enough." Then again, hope does spring eternal, doesn't it?

For the record, my daughter has already been through the college process, and no, she wasn't accepted at every school to which she applied.  Back then, I couldn't imagine why not, and it still baffles me. But I also learned a valuable lesson along the way.  My daughter found a balance that works for her, and although she will probably never be a multi-millionaire, she is very happy with the choices she's made.  And that is good enough for me.  I still believe she is the best daughter ever, and she didn't need a certain college acceptance to prove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment