Friday, November 15, 2013

Why can't new grads get hired?

To some I'm sure I will sound old-fashioned by agreeing with this article, but it has some valid points.  I often see students who show up to college information sessions, interviews, or campus tours in clothing that looks more like it was meant for the beach.  I'm not advocating dressing up for a campus tour, but I do think students have to think about the image they portray by their dress.

The author of this article, of course, isn't talking about college, but she does (briefly) mention the way potential job applicants dress for an interview.  It jumped out at me and reminded me of a recent trip to the mall when I saw a young woman completing an application for employment at one of the retail stores.  She had on shorts and a tank top - not what I would consider retail smart.

But let's get to the good stuff! What are employers looking for?  According to the survey mentioned in the article, they are looking for communication and interpersonal skills, team players and problem solvers.  They want people who can write well and prioritize and organize their work.  Do you have these skills, or are you working on developing them?  I hope so.

Happy Friday, and happy November 15th to everyone.  Another college deadline down. We're nearing the application finish line, so hang in there and have a good and safe weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment